Tuesday, February 11, 2020

A Date With Mr Lawyer That Never Happened

It's 11:10 PM and I have been up since 4 am today because of Delhi elections coverage.
Yet, 19 hours later, I felt compelled to write this post before memories of this recent bitter experience vaporise away.
He's a lawyer, a corporate lawyer to be precise. Sometime in January, his profile popped up on the dating app I have been using. The guy seemed fine to me, you anyway don't think much in the beginning and process later, alas!
I only initiated the conversation. He responded. I missed his initial one or two messages but then there was something about his responses that I started checking out the app even in office hours!
'A lawyer and a journalist, if we can rope in a cop we would be an unstoppable force', his message said one day. I couldn't help but smile. I was already floored!
On the other side of 30, I often find it excruciatingly difficult to keep a tab on messages from an app. There are news updates and social media alerts that I have to track for professional reason.
But in midst of all the usual madness, I somehow, would anxiously wait for his next response.
He's fond of travelling, the photos confirmed his penchant for sight seeing and exploring new places.
At 6 ft 2 inches, he was your typical tall-dark-handsome protagonist straight from a novel... will have to start wearing heels I thought if I really start dating this guy.
A month into these chats we decided to meet. Day was fixed. I told him to let me know the time and place. And then?
I waited and waited througout from morning till late evening but he didn't respond. He got cold feet? Whaaat? Why?
I was pissed, really angry at him. In a fit of rage, resembling quite closely to teen years, I resolutely uninstalled the app, hoping never to see that stream of messages from him ever again.
Sheer curiosity led me to find him on social media and once I was sure about his surname, I stumbled on his blog posts written somewhere between 2010 and 2012.
Simply loved his reading, his minute observation about people and life in general did strike a chord.
I particularly relished his post on how men and women waiting for a local at Bombay railway station are suddenly transformed into this unruly mob, which even he's a part of at times.
Don't know what happened there. There were so many imaginary conversation I have had in my head which I planned to have with him in front of me. About my stories, my past, family, friends, losses, disappointment, fears, and insecurities.
How much I wished I could have told him how I feel butterflies in my stomach every time I went outside office to report, that I hated defamation laws in this country and his take on anti CAA protests especially through the prism of Muslims.
None of those conversations could ever happen between two individuals in flesh and blood.
Here's to a date that never happened!
Dear Mr Corporate Lawyer Wish you all the happiness and comforts of companionship.You will never be able to read this piece but will continue to feature in my sublime thoughts for sometime at least.
As Zuckerberg said in The Social Network, 'I need to distract myself.'
On second thoughts, such experiences of mine would make for a superb Indian version of 'Ally McBeal' ..what say?

No comments:

Post a Comment