Monday, February 10, 2020

Finding love in the time of dating apps

'I dream of rain, I dream of garden sands in my desert land, I dream of love as time runs through my hand', those were the lyrics of Desert Rose song by Sting. 
At 34, it seems (and probably dawned on me) how love is an elusive commodity. No matter how much brands like Archies try to eulogise and encash 14 Feb celebrated as Valentines' Day, it simply boils down to a transactional relationship between Adam and Eve. 

Disillusioned and disappointed with matrimonial websites led me to trying my luck on dating apps. Office folks assured it works! 
A month, probably that's how much time I spent diligently at least on one such app and it seems as if 'flesh trade'  of a certain kind is flourishing here. 
First things first, I have never seen so many men flaunting their scuba diving skills on one platform. So yes, compared to my humble upbringing and middle class ecosystem, there is a class out there who have the privilege of dating as they continue to showcase their wealth, affluence and look-how-cool attitude.
Even though it's a dating platform, classic Indian masochistic behaviour is on full display -- using initials like X,Y,Z instead of full name to disguise identity. Arre bhai, 'Pyar kiya toh darna kya', after all yahan pe identity anonymous rakhne ka kya funda hai???
And somehow if you still manage to bump into sensible guys, their behavioural pattern is unpredictable. On the other side of 30, BUT 'not looking for anything long-term', one of them told me unabashedly. Quite revolutionary and enlightening I thought to myself. Not everyone has grown up reading Eric Segal novels!
After un-installing and re-installing the app, here I am, hopelessly optimistic that some mystic power may work on app and its algorithm and I will find my Mr Right purely by coincidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment